A Lockdown is implemented when there is an active threat of violence on campus. During a lockdown, all individuals are to remain secured in place until Law Enforcement or a Caltech Alert advises that the situation has been resolved. Lockdowns are intended to keep individuals away from a dangerous situation while allowing emergency personnel to contain and handle the threat.
Upon Notification to Lock down:
- Secure the space that you are in. If there are no locks, consider barricading the door
- If you are outside and alerted to Lockdown, enter the closest possible building
- If it is safe to do so, share the building with those campus members seeking shelter. Look for Caltech ID’s and/or uniforms but always use your judgment.
- Close and lock any windows
- Pull blinds
- Minimize noise
- Keep cell phones turned on but put them on silent mode
- Turn down ringers on desk phones
- Unplug speakers on computers or audio equipment
- Reduce or turn off lights to make yourself less visible in the building
- Remain in a secure location and wait for instructions from emergency personnel or an official source such as the Caltech Alert Emergency Notification system before exiting the building
Communications During a Lockdown Event
- Notification to lockdown can come from various sources however the Caltech Emergency Notification system will be used as a primary communication tool.
- Always alert or share necessary safety information with other people in your building or location
- If you have pertinent information about the emergency or need assistance call ext 5000 or send an email to email@example.com. Please consider that by making a phone call you may be audible to a perpetrator.